Monday, April 14, 2008

Why Does Organic Chemistry Matter?



Why are we studying organic chemistry? Why are YOU studying organic chemistry? Do you know why it matters?
I am taking a learning class and this week we are studying neuroscience - how learning takes place in the brain. The most interesting thing to me is how many common tasks use both sides of the brain - people think that you are left-brained or right-brained and that is where your thinking takes place but your brain needs information from many sources to process information and perform a task.
Anyway, what does this have to do with organic chemistry? I have an autistic son who seems to have synapses that work sometimes and sometimes they do not. Impulses are controlled by the frontal cortex and he has some impulse control, but he takes medication that helps him with this, ritalin. How does a stimulant make you calmer? I am not a biochemist but I understand that ritalin helps to regulate his synapses - Briana might know more about this than I do. I want to know more about how this drug works in his brain and why.
I am grateful for organic chemists who study pharmaceuticals and synthesize them and make mine and my son's life better.

1 comment:

alfachemistry said...

Products listed on our website are either in stock or can be resynthesized within a reasonable time frame. ONPB